General

Turkish president thanks the world for condolences over mine blast

The Turkish president on Saturday thanked everyone who conveyed their condolences following a mine explosion in northern Türkiye that killed at least 41 people.

“On behalf of the Turkish nation, I would like to express our gratitude to all the friendly countries, their peoples, and international organizations for sharing our grief and expressing solidarity,” Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Twitter.

He also shared a graphic with the flags of institutions and countries that sent condolences over the blast in the town of Amasra, Bartin province.

At least 110 miners were working in the shaft when the explosion occurred on Friday evening.

According to Energy Minister Fatih Donmez, initial findings indicate the blast was caused by firedamp, an explosive mixture of flammable gases in mines.

Erdogan, who visited the incident site earlier in the day, said the search and rescue operations had been completed, and an investigation is underway.

He said support will be immediately extended to the wounded workers, as well as the families of those who lost their lives.

Source: Anadolu Agency