The Turkish government has completed the renovation of 3,000 businesses in in the southeastern Diyarbakir province's Sur district, which had been hit by attacks of the terrorist PKK group, the Environment and Urbanization Ministry said on Friday.
In a statement, the ministry said the opening ceremony for the reopening of the businesses, as well as a groundbreaking ceremony for the construction of 1,500 traditional Diyarbakir homes, would be attended by President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Environment and Urbanization Minister Mehmet Ozhaseki. It did not specify the date.
The statement said the construction of some 3,000 businesses, including offices and shops, was completed on Gazi Street and Melik Ahmet Street, fashioning a new look for the two prominent streets.
Around two billion Turkish liras ($523 million) have been invested in the past two years to build a total of 5,637 houses, repair infrastructure, and restore 11 historical sites, including two churches in the district.
The construction of the 5,637 houses is scheduled to be completed in June and restoration of eight out of the 11 sites has been completed, the statement added.
In 2013, Turkey launched what is publicly known as the "solution process" to end the decades-old conflict with the outlawed PKK.
However, the process broke down in 2015 when the terror group resumed its 30-year armed campaign against the Turkish state.
Before the process ended, the PKK declared a cease-fire and vowed to lay down its weapons as well as advised members to leave Turkey.
However, the terrorists repeatedly exploited the solution process to gather more weapons and ammunition, and transport them into cities.
Over 40,000 people have been killed in more than 30 years of PKK attacks, including women and children. The PKK is listed as a terrorist organization by Turkey, the U.S. and the EU.
Source: Anadolu Agency