Statement by Prosecution for Açıkkolu: Torture Claim is ‘Propaganda’

  • admin
  • March 8, 2018
  • Comments Off on Statement by Prosecution for Açıkkolu: Torture Claim is ‘Propaganda’

Click to read the article in Turkish

İstanbul Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office has issued a statement after case of teacher Gökhan Açıkkolu, who lost his life in custody, was taken to parliamentary agenda.

In the written statement sent by the prosecutor’s office to agencies, claims proposed by Republican People’s Party (CHP) Chair Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu for the agenda were responded.

The prosecutor’s office stated that “The allegations that Açıkkolu died as a result of torture don’t reflect the truth, those are propaganda for illegal organization” and added that “he was provided with the medicine needed”.

In an interview to bianet, Human Rights Foundation of Turkey (TİHV) Chair and forensic expert Prof. Dr. Şebnem Korur Fincancı had said that they “found a causal relation between torture and his death”.

Concerning the subject, Kılıçdaroğlu said:

“Gökhan Açıkkolu was arrested in the wake of July 15 [coup attempt]. He lost his life during custody. We were informed that he wasn’t given medicine during custody. As a consequence, this man died. Now it came to light that this citizen died as a result of torture. Not a single soul can come forward and claim that ‘there is justice’ in this country”.

What happened?

History teacher Gökhan Açıkkolu (42) was suspended from his job at Ümraniye Atatürk Vocational and Technical Anatolian High School following July 15, 2016 coup attempt.

Açıkkolu was detained on July 23, 2016 for allegedly “being affiliated with the FETÖ/PDY (Fethullahist Terrorist Organization/Parallel State Organization)”. His health state worsened while he was kept in custody at İstanbul Security Directorate Anti-Terror Bureau and he was taken to Haseki Training and Research Hospital on July 28.

According to the written statement issued by İstanbul Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office, the report reading “there is no inconvenience for him to stay in custody” was given following the medical examination and he was taken back to the custody.

112 Emergency Service was phoned by the Security Directorate on August 5, 2016 and Açıkkolu was taken to the hospital by ambulance. On August 5 at around 6 a.m., he lost his life in Haseki Training and Research Hospital. (AS/TK)