Main opposition CHP MP Gamze Akkus Ilgezdi has announced that according to Turkish Employment Agency (ISKUR) figures, the number of unemployed has increased to 3 million 509 thousand 603, reaching an all time high.
Republican People's Party (CHP) Vice Chair and Istanbul MP Gamze Akkus Ilgezdi has shared the findings of her "Turkey's Army of Unemployed: The Turkish Employment Agency (ISKUR) Report for 2018".
According to Akkus Ilgezdi, the number of people registered as unemployed by the ISKUR has increased to 3 million 509 thousand 603, reaching an all time high. "The number of registered unemployed, which was 587 thousand 479 in 2003, has increased by 497 percent during the Justice and Development Party (AKP) period", she has emphasized.
Referring to ISKUR figures, Akkus Ilgezdi has indicated that 82 percent of people registered unemployed at the agency are women and young people, which shows that women have been excluded from employment:
"The number of unemployed people registered by the ISKUR in the AKP era has reached a record high. The number of unemployed women, which was 118 thousand 31 in 2003, increased to 1 million 805 thousand 439 in 2018. The number of women who have become unemployed over the past 16 years has increased by 1,430 percent."
According to the report, 2 thousand 169 women lost their jobs per week from 2003 to 2018. While the number women registered as unemployed was 1 million 268 thousand 855 in 2017, this number increased by 42 percent in 2018. In other words, 61 women lost their jobs per hour in 2018.
Other highlights from the report are as follows:
'Highest increase in women unemployment in Mardin'
* While the number of women graduates registered unemployed was 14 thousand 626 in 2003, this number increased to 348 thousand 896 in 2017 and to 445 thousand 300 in 2018, marking an increase of 2,945 percent. As of 2018, 59 percent of 753 thousand 767 people registered unemployed were women. This figure was 40 percent in 2003 and 57 percent in 2017.
* The highest increase in women unemployment on a provincial basis has been recorded in Turkey's southeastern province of Mardin. While the number of women registered unemployed in Mardin was 95 in 2003, this figure became 46 thousand 65 in 2018, marking a 48,389-percent increase.
'3 out of every 10 young people look for a job'
* Considering that the ISKUR announced the total labor force in the country in 2018 as 6 million 329 thousand 902, 17 percent, or 1 million 55 thousand 550, of this figure consists of young people registered unemployed.
* While the number of young people registered unemployed was 169 thousand 272 in 2003, this figure exceeded a million people in 2018, marking an increase of 524 percent. In 2018, 30 percent of all people registered unemployed in Turkey were young people.
* In other words, according to ISKUR figures, 3 out of every 10 young people that we encounter on the street are looking for a job.
'229 thousand 417 more young people have become unemployed'
* While the number of young people who applied to the ISKUR for a job was 826 thousand 133 in 2017, this figure increased by 28 percent in 2018. According to the figures shared by the ISKUR, as of the end of 2018, 229 thousand 417 more young people became unemployed.
* In other words, 629 young people became unemployed per day and 4 thousand 411 young people per week in 2018.
* The highest number of young people registered unemployed live in Istanbul. While this figure was 14 thousand 378 in 2003, it increased to 139 thousand 347 in 2018. In the AKP rule, the number of young people who applied to the ISKUR increased by 869 percent.
* The highest increase in the number of young people registered unemployed has been recorded in Mardin. While 302 young people were registered unemployed by the ISKUr in 2003, this figure became 17 thousand 585, marking a 5,723-percent increase.
Source: English Bianet