İZMİR AND ANTALYA PRIDE WEEK PROGRAMS: ‘Parading is not Enough, We Want the Whole City!’
Click to read the article in Turkish / Kurdish
The detailed programs of the 7th İzmir LGBTI+ Pride Week and the 3rd Antalya Pride Week have been shared with the public.
Accordingly, from June 17 to 23, LGBTI+s and everyone defending the rights LGBTI+ individuals will be on the streets of İzmir with the slogan, “Parading is not Enough, We Want the Whole City!.”
The first Pride Parade was held in Turkey’s Aegean province of İzmir in 2013. Since then, LGBTI+s have been inviting everyone to talk, discuss and discover “with the aim of finding ways to stand together with their differences and despite everything in the face of oppressive phobias of every stripe imposed by the two-gender system.”
This year’s Pride Parade, which is traditionally held on Sundays, will be held on Saturday (July 22) due to the İstanbul repeat elections on June 23.
The Pride Week Committee has made a call to gather in front of Eski Leman Kültür at 6 p.m. to parade along the Kıbrıs Şehitleri Street.
Click on the image to view its full-sized version
Events to be held in 7th İzmir LGBTI+ Pride Week
- With the aim of reminding the public of the importance of banned Pride Parades in İstanbul, Ankara and Middle East Technical University (METU) for the LGBTI+ movement, a photography exhibition on Pride Parades will be held on the first day of Pride Week.
- The hearing of the case filed into the murder of transwoman Hande Buse Şeker by a police officer in İzmir coincides with the Pride Week. Accordingly, the Pride Week Committee has called everyone to attend the hearing to be held on June 21.
- A workshop on the visibility of bisexual+ identities and a discussion on the intersex struggle will also be held as part of the Pride Week events. There will also be discussions on Experiences of Refugee LGBTI+s, Peace Policy of LGBTI+s and Queer Vegans.
- Queer Toy Workshop, a Manhood Workshop and Sexual Toy Making Workshop will also be held. On Sunday, there will be a vegan picnic.
Events to be held in 3rd Antalya Pride Week
Organized by the BİZ Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Research Association, the 3rd Antalya Pride Week will start on June 14 and end with the Pride Parade on June 16.
- On June 14, lawyer ahmet Çevik will speak on “LGBTI+ movement from yesterday to today”. Afterwards, a non-violence workshop will be held by Seda Kocabıyık and Yelda Akbulak at 2. 40 p.m. A queer workshop will be held at 3.30 p.m. and a speakers’ corner to be moderated by Ekrem Brek Bilginer at 4.50 p.m.
- On June 15, the Pride Week events will start with queer breakfast in Filika Kafe Kaleiçi at 10 a.m. Afterwards, Gülser Kayır from the Contemporary Journalists’ Association of Turkey will hold a session on “Violence Against Women and LGBTI+ Individuals” at 1. 30 p.m.; Gurbet Kabadayı from the Antalya Women Solidarity Center and Solidarity Association will hold a session on “Gender Inequality” at 2.20 p.m.; and lastly at 3 p.m., the “Milk” movie will be screened and a discussion will be held with Ömer Kaplan as its moderator.
- On June 16, Pride Parade will be held. The Antalya Pride Parade will start in front of Kapalıyol Halkbank at 5 p.m. The crowd will march to the Attalos statue from there.