Click to read the article in Turkish
Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP) Diyarbakır MP Semra Güzel has said that six inmates who are on a hunger strike in the Edirne Type F Closed Prison has been put in solitary cells and that the guardians raid their cells every morning, confiscating the inmates’ books and notebooks.
In the parliamentary question she directed at Minister of Justice Abdülhamit Gül, Güzel gave the following information on the issue:
“The six inmates who has been put in solitary cells were prevented from communicating with their friends. Their radios were also confiscated.
“After the one-month telephone call ban was issued for the hunger strikers, they have also been banned from family visits.
“The right to life of the hunger striker inmates have been violated by not providing them with vitamin B, which is necessary for hunger strikers.”
Leyla Güven on 113th day of hunger strike
HDP MP, Democratic Society Congress (DTK) Co-Chair Leyla Güven is on the 113th day of her strike with the demand that the isolation on Kurdistan Workers Party’s (PKK) imprisoned leader Abdullah Öcalan be lifted.
Democratic Regions Party (DBP) Co-Chair Sebahat Tuncel and HDP’s former Hakkari MP Selma Irmak have also been on an indefinite and non-rotating hunger strike since January 15, 2019.
The inmates who are convicted or arrested for charges related to the PKK or the Kurdistan Free Life Party (PAJK) announced today (February 28) that they will begin an indefinite and non-rotating hunger strike tomorrow.
According to the Human Rights Association (İHD), 343 inmates are on an indefinite and non-rotating hunger strike at the moment.
“Will you end the isolation?”
MP Güzel directed the following questions at Minister Gül:
- Are the rights violations at the Edirne Type F Prison within your Ministry’s knowledge?
- What are the legal and moral reasons to put inmates who are conducting a hunger strike into cells?
- Are the inmates subjected to physical torture? Is a possible right violation being concealed?
- Isn’t the European Convention of Human Rights (ECHR), which also signed by Turkey, violated by not providing the six hunger strikers with vitamin B complex?
- Do you think about ending the isolation system, which is a grave right violation and the reason for the hunger strikes?