General

France observes minute of silence in honour of Nice attack victims

NNA – Thousands of people gathered in the southern French city of Nice on Monday to observe a minute of silence in honour of the victims of last week’s Bastille Day truck attack, which claimed the lives of 84 people and left dozens more injured.

The minute of silence was held at noon local time across France, including Nice’s famed Promenade des Anglais, where Mohamed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel – a Tunisian citizen residing in the city – ploughed a 19-tonne truck into a crowd celebrating Bastille Day, France’s national holiday, on Thursday night.

In the days since the attack, details have emerged about the victims, who included three generations of the same family, a man protecting his pregnant wife, and at least one visiting student from the prestigious University of California Berkeley.

François Locatelli, 82, and his wife Christiane, 78, were out for a stroll on the Promenade des Anglais with their daughter, Véronique Lion, 55, and their 28-year-old grandson Michael Pellegrini on Bastille Day when Lahouaiej-Bouhlel barrelled down the walkway, killing all three.

Lion’s husband, Cristophe, miraculously survived the attack, but his parents, Germain and Gisèlle Lion, who were 68 and 63-years-old, died.

Timothé Gournier, a 27-year-old Parisian, was killed after pushing his seven-months pregnant wife out of the truck’s path, his cousin Anaïs told AFP. “He was a great guy,” she said. “A young dreamer, but someone who was always there for his family.”-France 24

=================== L.Y