Curfew in Derik, Mardin

A curfew has been declared in four neighborhoods in Derik in Turkey's southeastern province of Mardin on the ground of an operation to be conducted in the region.

The Governorship of Mardin has announced that a curfew has been declared in the neighborhoods of Cataltepe, Adak, Doganci and Develi in the district of Derik in Turkey's southeastern province of Mardin.

While the curfew has been declared on the ground of an operation to be conducted in the neighborhoods, it will be in effect until further notice.

Second highest number of curfews in Mardin

According to the figures of Human Rights Foundation of Turkey (TIHV), at least 369 officially confirmed curfews were declared in 11 provinces and at least 51 districts in Turkey from August 16, 2015 to July 1, 2019.

While a total of 214 curfews were declared in Turkey's southeastern province of Diyarbakir, it was followed by Mardin with 54 curfews.

At least 1 million 809 thousand people affected

As stated by the TIHV Documentation Center, according to the last population census conducted in Turkey in 2014, at least 1 million 809 thousand people were living in the related districts.

It was estimated that fundamental rights of these people such as the right to liberty and security; right to privacy, family, home or correspondence; freedom of assembly and association; freedom of religion; freedom to receive and impart information; right to reserve of property; right to education and right to life; right to health and prohibition of torture were violated.

About Derik

The surface area of Derik is 1,397 square kilometers. According to the census in 2015, the population of Derik is 62 thousand 175.

While 49.68 percent of the population consist of men, the remaining 50.32 percent consists of women.

District Co-Mayors: Mulkiye Esmez and M.Serif Kiran (HDP).

Source: English Bianet