Click to read the article in Turkish
Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP) Muş MP Gülistan Kılıç Koçyiğit has submitted a parliamentary question regarding the allegation that there is a tuberculosis epidemic among the refugees held in Iğdır Repatriation Center affiliated with the Ministry of Interior’s Immigration Authority.
Referring to the allegations recently reported in the press, Kılıç Koçyiğit has stated that almost 35 people, 170 of whom are refugees and the rest are sanitation and security personnel, have the risk of being infected with tuberculosis in the Iğdır Repatriation Center.
Underlining that 700-800 refugees from Afghanistan and Pakistan live in the center and 200 of them are women and children, she has also referred to the allegations that over 100 people have contracted the disease so far and some of the patients have been referred to hospitals in Ankara as their conditions of health have deteriorated.
‘What are the most frequent diseases in camps?’
In her parliamentary question, HDP Muş MP Gülistan Kılıç Koçyiğit has directed as series of questions to Minister of Interior Süleyman Soylu, including the following:
- Are the allegations of tuberculosis epidemic among refugees in Iğdır Repatriation Center true? If yes, how many people have contracted the disease so far? How many of the patients are refugees and how many of them are the camp personnel?
- Are the ones who have contracted the disease receiving medical treatment? If yes, where and how are they treated?
- Has any person died of tuberculosis? If yes, how many of them have died of the disease? What are their nationalities, ages and sexes?
- It is stated that the epidemic in question has been caused by insufficient nourishment, sanitation and poor conditions in the camp? How many meals are served in the camp a day? How are the refugees’ needs for protein and vitamin met?
- What are the most frequent diseases in refugee camps in Turkey? What kind of precautions are taken in the camps against epidemics?
- Are there any other tuberculosis epidemics in Turkey like the one in Iğdır? If yes, in which camps are there such epidemics?
Governorship: ‘Two migrants diagnosed with epidemic’
The Governorship of Iğdır previously released a statement and announced that “though none of its personnel have contracted the disease, they still undergo medical screening as a precaution.”
“Two migrants have been diagnosed with the epidemic so far and all migrants with suspected tuberculosis have been quarantined,” the Governorship further indicated. (AS/SD)