She Murdered Rapist Threatening Her for 4 Years, Sentenced to 10 Years in Prison

Comments Off on She Murdered Rapist Threatening Her for 4 Years, Sentenced to 10 Years in Prison

Click to read the article in Turkish

Yonca Özer is 27 years old. She murdered Abdullah Okan who was harassing and threatening herself and her family, and attempted rape in their last meeting and told her that he would release the rape video on Internet.

She was sentenced to 10 years in prison over murder under unjust provocation. The court ruled that the elements for self-defense didn’t constitute.

Özer’s lawyers objected to the decision. The file is now at the Regional Court of Justice. The case will be re-heard if the court reverses the decision.

One of Özer’s lawyers Gürkan Fıstıkçı is going to make a motion for the regional court to hold a hearing.

In case this motion is approved, Fıstıkçı called on the women’s organizations to get involved in the trial and stressed that the court must rule that it was self-defense.

Speaking to bianet, Fıstıkçı said:

“What could a woman have done against who was prepared to rape her other than protecting herself? Yonca would be murdered in the other scenario and that person would be the defendant and I would be serving as the attorney of the murdered.

“I’ve tried to explain this to the court during the trial. While there is an armed man who is obsessed with a woman for years, the chance of surviving such a rape situation is very dim. Yonca Özer had two options: she would either be raped and murdered or she wouldn’t be raped. Yonca chose to survive”. (ÇT/TK)

‘Gülmen Taken to Intensive Care to Prevent Her From Attending Next Hearing’

Comments Off on ‘Gülmen Taken to Intensive Care to Prevent Her From Attending Next Hearing’

Illustration: Mine Yörük

Click to read the article in Turkish

Academic Nuriye Gülmen who has been continuing her hunger strike in detention, was taken to intensive care unit yesterday (September 25) evening while she was reading in her room.

Speaking to bianet, one of her attorneys Murat Yılmaz said that Gülmen was taken from her room and was forcibly brought to intensive care unit although she was in a conscious state.

Yılmaz noted that they predicted, that the aim of taking her to intensive care was to prevent her from attending the next hearing of their trial with Semih Özakça on September 28.

“Her attorneys have not met with Gülmen yet”

Yılmaz added that there was no change in her medical condition as they visited her in Sincan University Campus State Hospital yesterday and that she had been preparing for her statement of defence. There was no similar practice regarding teacher Semih Özakça being kept in the same prison campus hospital, the attorney has reported.

Academic Nurüye Gülmen and teacher Semih Özakça, who have been on hunger strike for 202 days to be reinstated to their jobs were arrested on May 23,2017, are being kept in Sincan University Campus State Hospital since July 8, 2017.

Since August 15, they have been accompanied by a family member in their hospital rooms.

The first hearing on September 14 was held without the presence of the defendants since they were not brought to the court “for health and security reasons”.

Attorney Yılmaz: “Taken to intensive care in conscious state”

Attorney Yılmaz reported that Nuriye Gülmen and her sister Beyza Gülmen who was accompanying her in the hospital were reading as the guardians took Beyza Gülmen out of the room and Nuriye Gülmen to the intensive care unit and added:

“According to the information the attorneys obtained from the doctors who examined Gülmen in the morning, she is in a conscious state, rejects treatment and is only being kept in the intensive care unit of Numune Hospital without being connected to any device”.
“She has no company”

“The attorneys are trying to see her”

“According to Numune Hospital’s report from July 28, she is not able to live without company but she is not being accompanied by anyone at the moment”.

“She wants to attend the hearing”

“She is in a conscious state, there is no new development in her medical situation. Taking her to Numune Hospital in a rush, against her will, just two days before the trial is an attempt to prevent her attending the hospital.

“After the court had transferred the case to Sincan prison campus as the prison gendarmerie reported just one day before the first hearing on September 15, that they could not take Nuriye to Ankara, they have now abducted and brought her to Ankara.

“There is no condition that makes it necessary to keep Nuriye Gülmen in intensive care unit. She is reading her book and preparing and writing her statement of defence on her own”.

“Certain people do not wish that she appears at the hearing”

“She wants to attend the hearing on Thursday (September 28) and explain why she started this demonstration and injustices she had faced. To my understanding, certain people do not wish that she attends the hearing. They are either afraid of what she will say or that we would see her then.

“Nuriye Gülmen insistently wants to appear before judge and testify […]. Taking attorneys into detention two days before the first hearing, gendarmerie’s report that they would not bring her to Ankara just one day before the hearing, taking her to Numune Hospital just two days before the second trial where she was already being kept in the prison campus hospital, is in a conscious state and refuses treatment, is to prevent her from attending the hearing”.

About Gülmen and Özakça

Nuriye Gülmen was employed at Eskişehir Osmangazi University.

After her contract was not renewed, she brought a lawsuit and won. Seven months later, she started to work at Selçuk University. A day after she started her job, she was suspended from her duty based on the “FETÖ-PDY (Fethullahist Terror Organization-Parallel State Structure) investigation launched into her. She was discharged on January 6, 2017 via the Statutory Decree No. 679.

Semih Özakça was a classroom teacher at Mazıdağı Cumhuriyet Primary School in Mardin. He was discharged via the Statutory Decree No. 675 over “being linked with terror organizations”.

Gülmen has been in front of Human Rights Monument on Yüksel Street in Turkey’s capital city of Ankara to stage a sit-in since November 9, 2016 and Özakça since November 23, 2016.

On hunger strike since March 9, 2017

On March 9, Gülmen and Özakça were taken into custody and went on apermanent non—rotational hunger strike in detention.

During their resistance protest that they started in front of Human Rights Monument on Yüksel Street in Ankara, they have been detained and released several times.

On May 22, they were detained for the last time and arrested on the next day. They have been continuing their hunger strike in prison since their arrest on May 23.

On September 14, the first hearing was held without the presence of the defendants as the gendarmerie refused to bring them to the court due to “health and security reasons”. The court ruled that Gülmen and Özakça remain further in detention on remand.

The next hearing will be on September 28.

(BK/DG)

Radio and TV Council Explains Why 3 Kurdish TV Channels Removed from Türksat

Comments Off on Radio and TV Council Explains Why 3 Kurdish TV Channels Removed from Türksat

Click to read the article in Turkish

The Radio and Television Supreme Council ruled that TV channels broadcasting from Kurdistan Regional Government be removed from Türksat satellite. The reason of the decision made at the time of the independence referendum was explained.

The channels removed were Rudaw TV, Kurdistan24 TV and Waar TV.

Kurdistan map

Citing RTÜK officials, state-run Anadolu Agency reported that “The expression ‘Bakûre Kurdistane’ that means north Kurdistan under the names of ‘Amed’ and ‘Wan’ was used in the weather forecast broadcasted on July 16” was the reason of the removal.

“Pro-KK/YPG broadcasting”

The justification put forward for the removal of Rudaw TV was that “the aforementioned TV channel broadcasts in favor of PKK/YPG (Kurdistan Workers’ Party/Peoples’ Protection Units)”.

The report added the RTÜK gave the TV channels 48 hours to fix these issues. (HK/TK)

Radio and TV Council Explains Why 3 Kurdish TV Channels Removed from Türksat

Comments Off on Radio and TV Council Explains Why 3 Kurdish TV Channels Removed from Türksat

Click to read the article in Turkish

The Radio and Television Supreme Council ruled that TV channels broadcasting from Kurdistan Regional Government be removed from Türksat satellite. The reason of the decision made at the time of the independence referendum was explained.

The channels removed were Rudaw TV, Kurdistan24 TV and Waar TV.

Kurdistan map

Citing RTÜK officials, state-run Anadolu Agency reported that “The expression ‘Bakûre Kurdistane’ that means north Kurdistan under the names of ‘Amed’ and ‘Wan’ was used in the weather forecast broadcasted on July 16” was the reason of the removal.

“Pro-KK/YPG broadcasting”

The justification put forward for the removal of Rudaw TV was that “the aforementioned TV channel broadcasts in favor of PKK/YPG (Kurdistan Workers’ Party/Peoples’ Protection Units)”.

The report added the RTÜK gave the TV channels 48 hours to fix these issues. (HK/TK)

Demonstrations Banned in Ankara Ahead of Next Gülmen, Özakça Hearing

Comments Off on Demonstrations Banned in Ankara Ahead of Next Gülmen, Özakça Hearing

Click to read the article in Turkish / Kurdish

 Ankara Governorship has banned all demonstrations, press statements and meetings in some areas in Turkey’s capital of Ankara’s Kızılay district that also cover the Yüksel street where Gülmen and Özakça had been staging a sit-in protest during their hunger strike.

The prohibition applies to the area between the crossing points of Atatürk – İsmet İnönü Boulevards and Milli Müdafa, Ziya Gökalp, Tuna and Mithatpaşa streets.

The governorship in its written statement argued that certain civil society organizations had been staging demonstrations and protest “under the cover of a press statement” and thus been blocking pedestrian and car traffic due to the mass participation, causing noise and video pollution, and disturbing the public order.

According to the governorship, “this situation causes fear and panic among the citizens in the area and these undesirable incidents constituted a threat to the social security.

The statement also reported that “there was information that the terrorist organizations of DEAŞ-PKK/KCK (Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, Kurdistan Workers’ Party/ Kurdistan Communities Union) would interfere in these demonstrations”.

The new ban placed on loud anthems and songs, slogans as well as demonstration and press statements will be in effect until further notice.

2 days before next hearing of Gülmen and Özakça

The ban will be in effect in the town center of Kızılay that also covers the Yüksel street where Gülmen and Özakça had been staging a sit-in protest and holding hunger strike.

Academic Nuriye Gülmen and teacher Semih Özakça who were discharged from their positions through a statutory decree and went on a hunger strike to be reinstated to their jobs but were arrested during their hunger strike.

Supporters who have been carrying out protests in Yüksel Street in support of Gülmen and Özakça since May 22 have been facing police intervention and detentions.

The ban has been issued two days before the next hearing of Gülmen and Özakça on September 28. 

Similar bans were imposed previously on May 26, July 5 and August 2, 2017. (HK/DG)

Demonstrations Banned in Ankara Ahead of Next Gülmen, Özakça Hearing

Comments Off on Demonstrations Banned in Ankara Ahead of Next Gülmen, Özakça Hearing

Click to read the article in Turkish

 Ankara Governorship has banned all demonstrations, press statements and meetings in some areas in Turkey’s capital of Ankara’s Kızılay district that also cover the Yüksel street where Gülmen and Özakça had been staging a sit-in protest during their hunger strike.

The prohibition applies to the area between the crossing points of Atatürk – İsmet İnönü Boulevards and Milli Müdafa, Ziya Gökalp, Tuna and Mithatpaşa streets.

The governorship in its written statement argued that certain civil society organizations had been staging demonstrations and protest “under the cover of a press statement” and thus been blocking pedestrian and car traffic due to the mass participation, causing noise and video pollution, and disturbing the public order.

According to the governorship, “this situation causes fear and panic among the citizens in the area and these undesirable incidents constituted a threat to the social security.

The statement also reported that “there was information that the terrorist organizations of DEAŞ-PKK/KCK (Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, Kurdistan Workers’ Party/ Kurdistan Communities Union) would interfere in these demonstrations”.

The new ban placed on loud anthems and songs, slogans as well as demonstration and press statements will be in effect until further notice.

2 days before next hearing of Gülmen and Özakça

The ban will be in effect in the town center of Kızılay that also covers the Yüksel street where Gülmen and Özakça had been staging a sit-in protest and holding hunger strike.

Academic Nuriye Gülmen and teacher Semih Özakça who were discharged from their positions through a statutory decree and went on a hunger strike to be reinstated to their jobs but were arrested during their hunger strike.

Supporters who have been carrying out protests in Yüksel Street in support of Gülmen and Özakça since May 22 have been facing police intervention and detentions.

The ban has been issued two days before the next hearing of Gülmen and Özakça on September 28. 

Similar bans were imposed previously on May 26, July 5 and August 2, 2017. (HK/DG)

2 Awards for Ustaoğlu’s Movie ‘Clair Obscur’ at Arthouse Film Festival

Comments Off on 2 Awards for Ustaoğlu’s Movie ‘Clair Obscur’ at Arthouse Film Festival

Click to read the article in Turkish/Kurdish

Yeşim Ustaoğlu’s latest film Clair Obscur has been deemed worthy of best director and best actress at 12th Batumi International Arthouse Film Festival that ended on Sunday (September 24).

Ustaoğlu was selected the best director and Ecem Uzun was selected the best actress in the festival in which Iranian director Mohsen Makhmalbaf served as the chief jury.

[embedded content]

The “Clair Obscur,” in which Funda Eryiğit and Ecem Uzun are co-starring, tells the story of the transforming lives of two same but different young women whose paths cross.

About Yeşim Ustaoğlu

Ustaoğlu was born in Trbazon in northeastern Turkey. After studying architecture at the Yıldız Technical University in İstanbul, she worked as an architect, then as a journalist and a film critic Before she made her feature film debut The Trace (İz) in 1994, she had made several award-winning short films. The Trace was entered into the 19th Moscow International Film Festival.

Ustaoğlu received international recognition for her next film, Journey to the Sun (Güneşe Yolculuk), which told a story of a friendship between a Turk and a Kurd. Her fourth film Pandora’s Box (Pandora’nın Kutusu) won The Best Film and The Best Actress award in San Sebastian Film Festival and is Ustaoğlu’s biggest international success to date. (HK/TK)

Create Account



Log In Your Account